A brief history of Chiropractic Treatment
Chiropractic had its beginnings in1895 when Daniel David Palmer (also known as DD) gave the first chiropractic adjustment to a janitor at his place of work. This man had previously felt a pop in his spine and this resulted in instant hearing loss. DD examined him and surmised that there was a misalignment in the man’s neck causing this affliction. A single precise chiropractic adjustment immediately restored the janitor’s hearing and the art of chiropractic was born.
At Tayside Chiropractic & Wellness Clinic, we strive to give you the best individualised care possible for your condition and your overall health. We will tailor your treatment and use safe, gentle techniques that will give you the best outcome.
Chiropractic treatment at our Perth clinic may involve manual therapy such as spinal manipulation or adjustment, mobilisation or massage. In addition we may also use low level laser therapy (also known as cold laser), kinesiotaping, stretching, strengthening or a combination of the above. It may be helpful for the following conditions:
- General, acute, sub-acute, and chronic low back pain including lumbago
- Sciatica (defined as any type of pain caused by irritation of the sciatic nerve)
- Cervicogenic headache (headache arising from the neck)
- Cervicogenic dizziness
- Mechanical neck pain including stiffness and soreness
- Poor posture e.g. from awkward sitting positions, leading to neck pain and tension
- Minor sports injuries e.g. Shoulder girdle pain / dysfunction and rotator cuff injuries, disease or disorders. elbow pain and tennis elbow arising from associated musculoskeletal conditions of the back and neck (but not isolated occurrences)
- Short term management of ankle sprains and plantar fasciitis
- General aches and pains including those associated with joints, muscle spasms and cramps, sprains and strains
As our principal chiropractor holds a paediatric chiropractic masters degree, MSc APP (Chiropractic paediatrics), she is able to provide general health advice relevant to infants, children and pregnant women. She is very experienced in treating children of all ages. Likewise in pregnancy, some women find it beneficial to be checked regularly in order optimise posture and reduce asymmetries that may make birthing conditions less than optimal.
Who can call themselves a chiropractor?
The title of “chiropractor‟ is protected by law and chiropractors are regulated by statute. The General Chiropractic Council (GCC) is the UK-wide statutory body established by Parliament to regulate the chiropractic profession. They check that all chiropractors are properly qualified and fit to practise.
Chiropractors are educated full-time for 5 years and have completed extensive training in anatomy, physiology, biomechanics, medical diagnosis, radiography and radiology. Chiropractors are primary care practitioners specialising in nerve, muscle and joint problems. We will refer you to another healthcare professional if necessary
Chiropractic is gentle and safe in the hands of a qualified practitioner. Our chiropractor is trained in a wide variety of techniques.
What is Chiropractic Treatment?
- Chiropractic is a primary healthcare profession that specialises in the diagnosis, treatment and overall management of conditions that are due to problems with the joints, ligaments, tendons and nerves of the body, particularly those of the spine.
- Treatment consists of a wide range of manipulative techniques designed to improve the function of the joints, relieving pain and muscle spasm.
- Chiropractic does not involve the use of any drugs or surgery.
- Loss of joint movement may be caused by your everyday lifestyle, through accident and injury, or just simple wear and tear.
- Because chiropractors understand the underlying stresses that the body can be put under, they can advise you on preventative measures to try and avoid causing damage or injury.
- Today, chiropractic is the largest drugless health profession.
Most people go to see a chiropractor because they have some sort of pain or discomfort. Typically, it is back or neck pain, but chiropractors are trained to rehabilitate just about any muscle or joint in your body. We also use Gait Scan Analysis, Low level laser therapy and kinesiotaping to assist with our Chiropractic treatment.
For a full list of FAQs about treatments, click HERE.